On Wednesday afternoon my mom, the kids, and I flew into South Bend, Indiana, the nearest airport to Elkhart. Tom and his dad (who drove the uHaul truck and arrived the night before) met us at the airport with the rental car. And just like that... After two years of support raising, lots of prayer, blood, sweat, and tears, We. Are. Here!
Currently we are a bit overwhelmed with everything we need to do to settle ourselves and trying our bestest to let everyone know we are here and how things are going. For the time being we are living with a friend while we search for a home for our family. On Monday there is a welcome for us at work, hopefully we can snag a family pic of us at our first day at the Technology Center!
This is it! We are, literally, going now!!!
After an amazing crew of friends helped us pack the uHaul truck on Sunday, June 1st, Tom and his dad rolled out of town Monday morning - Elkhart bound! The kids, my mom and I are hanging back at a friend’s house to allow the guys a few days to get to there, get unpacked, and get a rental car. They will meet us at the airport in South Bend, Indiana on Wednesday afternoon.
This past week has been incredibly busy, a tad overwhelming, and a whole lot emotional. Such a time of excitement, joy, and anticipation, peppered with good-byes, thank yous, and see-you-laters.
The kids have been troopers. Our friends are amazing. Our parents are so supportive (read: using their spare time to fly out here and help us relocate. I’m not sure you can get cooler than that). We are blessed! THANK YOU ALL!
This is it. Our last night in the place we've called home for four years. The place we scooped up in a heartbeat when we returned from serving in Ecuador. The place we brought our first child home from the hospital to. The place our second son surprised us by arriving while we were still at home. This is it. Our last night.
I've always had a love-hate relationship with this place. So it's suiting that this past week I've been choked up while excitedly packing to leave.
I'm really looking forward to this giant leap of faith ahead of us. As Tom summed it up for me yesterday in a much needed packing prep-talk: We are daring to follow our dreams, and babe, this. is. it. We're going! Let's GO!
But tonight, tonight I'm putting the excitement aside for a moment and allowing myself to grieve. Its a feeling that needs to be felt. We are leaving where we've called home, moving away from a place where we have amazing friends, departing from a community where we fit in.
"I'll miss you" feels like a gross understatement right about now. But don't get me wrong. I'm thrilled we're going.
This past week has been a BIG one for us! We traveled to Elkhart, Indiana for an important fund raising event last Saturday and this past Wednesday we traveled to the border again to have our visa applications adjudicated. The Lord walked ahead of us for both of them! The fundraiser was an awesome evening and on Wednesday our visas were GRANTED! Praise the Lord!!
We are now ‘all systems go!’ for heading off into full time service at the Technology Center in Elkhart, Indiana! We start the move on June 1st
The next 14 days are stuffed with preparation for our international move. My head is spinning with all there is to do and all the decisions that need to be made. We are also desperate to see everyone before we head off. Thankfully a few awesome ladies from our church have graciously offered to host a pot-luck farewell breakfast for us on Saturday, May 31st, from 9:00-11:00 at Lakeshore Church. So if you are in the area, we’d love to see you there!
Also, please join us in a happy dance and praising The Lord!
It's time to take a giant leap of faith. We've given our landlord notice that we are out June 1st.
Yup, June 1st.
No, we don't have our visas yet. Those will come, Lord willing, in the 3rd or 4th week of May. Considering we won't have a home within a week of that date, THAT is where the giant in 'giant leap of faith' comes in. Don't wory, I'm sure someone will take us in if it doesn't go as we planned. Right? Riiiiiight?
Anywhoo, we are busy sorting, packing, and getting our butts in gear. Oh, and also preparing for our trip to Elkhart next week!
So, if all goes as planned, we leave Montreal on June 1st and head to Elkhart. Moving into our friend Kathy's house until more permanent digs are found.
Praise the Lord we have a plan!
Sooo... Who wants to come help on June 1st?
This past December we left Montreal with a six-week old and a two-year old and headed west; yearning to find the rest of our support team and determined to make the most of the time we had. While on the road we spoke at numerous churches, presented at small groups, met with families, and followed up with any lead possible. We returned to Montreal last week with a near six-month old and three-year old. The time away full-time support raising was exhausting and exhilarating. I’m thrilled to announce that the Lord provided!
Although we are still desperately in need of monthly supporters, we have been given the go-ahead to depart for our field of service - Elkhart, Indiana – for this coming June!! Can I get a woot woot!?!
We go in faith that the Lord will continue to provide the remaining funds we need. Please continue to pray with us and if you are interested in joining our support team, please click here to download our “Partner With Us” form or visit our website (candiceandtom.com) and click on the “Get Involved” link in the menu at the top.
And so, we are getting ready! Tom has handed in his resignation at his Montreal day job, and is eagerly looking forward to joining the engineering team at the Tech Center. He can’t wait to sink his teeth into radio design and community development projects. I’m looking forward to settling the family (finally!), finding us a home, and putting my knowledge of nutrition to work for those in need.
Although we are eager to get there (and by God’s grace, it’s time to go!), there is a lot that needs to happen between now and then:
- We want to meet with all of our (prayer and financial) supporters in Montreal before we leave, to celebrate this together!
- We need to follow-up with our supporters who wanted to start their financial support when we headed to the field. Well, that time is now!
- We need to obtain work visas for the United States. This process is under way. May the Lord provide in his perfect timing.
- We need to pack up our home and get ready to depart. Anyone want to help?!
Please join us in prayer that all will work out according to His will.
Let’s do this thing!
Quit my job today.
I've been looking forward to this day for a long time.
And, the thing is, I really liked that job.
Quitting my job means that I'm finally ready to follow what I feel is God's call on my life... Joining in the technological ministry of the HCJB Global Technology Center in Elkhart, IN.
We got confirmation for a June 2nd start date about 10 days ago, and we've been buzzing ever since! We're going on faith that the rest of the support we need will come through, but we're so close that we feel that God has confirmed our calling -- and if God is indeed calling, the support will come, that we can just go on faith.
So we still need, really really need, a few more monthly supporters, and we have to trust the Spirit to do whatever work He has planned in whatever hearts He has picked out in whatever timeline He intends. But we know we are in not just good hands, but THE BEST hands!
So I'm glad to be done, glad to have finally quit. It's been great work, but I can't wait to sink my teeth into the work God has in store for me next!
This is it. The time is now!!
We are going - Lord willing and Lord providing - June 2nd, 2014.
That's 58 (broken) sleeps from now.
And between now and then we need miracles. Lots of them. But if there's anything we've learned in this process, it's that waiting on miracles is an awesome place to be.
- --> At a minimum, we need $600/month more pledged by the end of this month.
- --> We need the visas to be processed... And accepted!
- --> We need to return to Montreal and pack up our home
- --> We need to visit the states mid-May to attend a fund raising banquet, to then return and leave our home, permanently
If there was ever a time we needed you, it's now. We are in need of much, much prayer to have these miracles come through and for us to survive the next 58 sleeps (and beyond!) to reach our field of service. Because this is it, the time is NOW!
As we round the corner to the end of our time here in Manitoba, we are facing a few (mega) things and a few (mega) decisions need to be made. It feels a lot like a storm, with so many things swirling around: funding percentages and a start date, and everything that those affect (giving notice at work, giving notice to our landlord, officially applying for the visas, packing up our home in Montreal, etc etc etc).
We need an absolute minimum of $600/month more pledged before we can head out. And all of the above hinges on finding that. And finding that, really needs a lot of prayer.
We are speaking at a church this Sunday (April 6), to two missions committees next week, and at another church next Sunday (April 13). And then our time here in Manitoba is done. We are waiting on miracles. Anxiously waiting on miracles. Would you please join us in prayer that the Lord will provide, in His perfect timing?!